Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Blog #3 INeffective Business Communication

I have decided to talk about an example of an ineffective business communication that I experience about two years ago.

I had been working at this business for about 2 years, maybe a little less.  I was a receptionist at a therapist office so it was always really busy and chaotic there.  I remember coming in one morning and seeing an email from the finance director that stated something like this:

"It is against our regulations to open any mail marked confidential that comes into the office.  I spoke with the executive director and she stated that when we find out who made this mistake they will no longer work here."

I was shocked, I wondered if I did it accidentally.  Would they think it was me who did it because I had worked there the least amount of time?  I prayed silently at my desk that it wasn't me.  My supervisor came into my office to talk to me about it.  We were both shocked at how harsh the punishment was for such an error. 

About an hour later the Executive Director writes an email to the front desk staff:

"I don't know what she was talking about, but I never said anything like that.  I am shocked that she would say such a thing."  It continued on and honestly I don't remember the rest so I won't make it up. (Hah)

About 5 minutes later from the Finance Director I receive another email:

"I am sorry for the first email I wrote, she never said those things.  I must have misunderstood what was said. No one is getting fired."

I remember sitting there thinking to myself... Did two adult women just have a cat fight over email?  How ridiculous.  Not to mention unprofessional.... Needless to say, no one got fired... and we never figured out who the "mail opener" was.  The end.!

No comments:

Post a Comment